Capital Improvements Update
Despite closing for the 2006, season The Soul of American Road Racing continues to bustle with activity in preparation for 2007 as work on Turns 1, 5 and 6 moves forward. To prepare for the repaving, two layers of binder need to be put down on each turn. The first layer was placed in Turns 1 and 5 just before rain came through the area last week and crews were able to continue their work on drainage areas around the track. The combination of dryer weather and the power of the track's jet dryer allowed for the binding in Turn 6 to be laid this past weekend. The second and final layer of binder is scheduled to be put down in each turn later this week (weather permitting) and the asphalt will soon follow.
Two additional projects will also be underway by the month's end at the famed road course. Construction will begin on a new permanent elevator on the back of the FrontStretch Grandstands to reach Race Control located at the top of the grandstand (a temporary elevator was used this past year). The second is the installation of a new alarm system in several buildings around the facility.
- New York State Legislature recognizes Watkins Glen International in Albany
- WGI repave earns National Asphalt Pavement Association ‘Quality in Construction’ Award
- Race weekend schedule announced for NASCAR at Watkins Glen International, August 3-6
- Watkins Glen International set to hold job fair ahead of 2017 season
- Four companion series to join Verizon IndyCar Series at Watkins Glen International, August 31-September 3