Repaving Begins at The Glen
The Project Starts With Turn 1 and Turn 5
The 2006 season concluded at The Soul of American Road Racing on October 1 and by October 2 a major repaving project began in preparation for an exciting 2007. The concrete sections in Turn 1 and Turn 5 were removed to begin a capital improvement project that was announced by track official this past June.
The track will undergo a series of repaving projects to address issues with water and drainage along the concrete sections of the racing surface and new competition curbing will also be added to two more turns, along the 3.4 mile road course.
The project began this week with the removal of the concrete sections in Turn 1, also known as the 'Ninety', and Turn 5, or the 'carousel turn'. Final pieces of the concrete in Turn 5 were removed this afternoon, while the base for each turn is expected to be put down this weekend. In the coming weeks, both the repaving and milling of the asphalt in Turns 1, 5 and 6 will take place. Once the repaving has been completed, the asphalt curbing in both Turn 5 and Turn 6 will also be replaced with new FIA curbing. Additional paving projects are expected to be announced later this month.
While the track is already accepting 2007 ticket renewal orders, tickets for the entire 2007 season will go on sale December 2. That is one month earlier than in the past and just in time for the holidays. For tickets and information, please contact the Watkins Glen International ticket office at 866-461-RACE or log on to the official website at www.TheGlen.com.
- Watkins Glen International, Busch Beer team up to bring Daytona 500 to New York state NASCAR fans
- Stage lengths revealed for August 3-6 NASCAR race weekend at Watkins Glen International
- Three burning questions to be answered at The Glen in 2017
- Best Western Plus – Hammondsport to serve as “Official Hotel” of Watkins Glen International’s Opening Weekend
- Camping, tickets on sale for USA’s “Best Wine Festival” at The Glen this summer