Afternoon Racing Cut a Little Short Due to Rain
It was looking like the rain was going to hold off long enough on Saturday to finish all qualifying races during the Zippo U.S. Vintage Grand Prix. Unfortunately Mother Nature had other ideas and the last few sessions were cancelled due to heavy rain. The remaining qualifying races will not be made up tomorrow and Sunday's schedule will run as planned. Group 1 will get things going with the first Optima Batteries Sprint Race of the day at 8:00 AM. This will be followed by another 12 races including the 22nd Annual SVRA Collier Cup Race for historic MGs at 11:30 AM, the 8th U.S. Bugatti Grand Prix Race for the New York Governor's Cup at 1:30 PM and BMW running in the Zippo Feature Race at 3:15 PM.
John Watson will be available during his autograph session next to the Pyramid from 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM and then again for a Fan Forum in the Pit Terrace Grandstand from 12:35 PM - 1:00 PM. Watson's final public appearance will be when he says the most famous words in racing to start the 8th U.S. Bugatti Grand Prix.
Tickets are still available for this weekend's Zippo U.S. Vintage Grand Prix and can be purchased at the track's ticket office. The racing action goes from 8:00 AM until 5:30 PM on Sunday. More information can be obtained by calling the ticket office at the 866-461-RACE. A complete weekend schedule can be found by clicking here.
Occasional weather updates will be posted on the WGI Fan Talk Forum on Sunday.
- New York State Legislature recognizes Watkins Glen International in Albany
- WGI repave earns National Asphalt Pavement Association ‘Quality in Construction’ Award
- Race weekend schedule announced for NASCAR at Watkins Glen International, August 3-6
- Watkins Glen International set to hold job fair ahead of 2017 season
- Four companion series to join Verizon IndyCar Series at Watkins Glen International, August 31-September 3