Watkins Glen International To Have New Media Center in 2008
Watkins Glen International announced today that funds for a new media center have been approved by the International Speedway Corporation (NYSE: ISCI) Board of Directors (BOD). Construction of a new building is expected to begin soon.
"We have been working on this for a long time, and I am thrilled that we are finally moving forward on this project," stated Craig Rust, President of Watkins Glen International. “The Glen is committed to continuing the upgrades that are necessary to compete in today's motorsports environment and the construction of a new media center clearly demonstrates this on-going effort.”
The track has been undergoing a series of major capital improvements over the past four years including track repaving in 2006, a new grandstand along the front stretch in 2005, an upgrade to the garage and an improved water and sewer system that included the additions of showers in the campground from 2003 to 2004.
“We credential several hundred working media during our NASCAR NEXTEL Cup and IndyCar Series weekends that all have basic requirements that we have been unable to meet in the current facility,” stated Eiron Smith, Director of Communications at WGI. “Having a new media center with state-of-the-art technology and proper space for working media, press conferences, the sanctioning bodies, and track staff will help us meet those needs and build positive press coverage during our race weekends.”
Demolition of the current structure will begin soon and concepts and renderings for the nearly $4M project will be released when completed. Updates on the progress of the center will be available at www.theglen.com.
- Watkins Glen International RACE Foundation opens grant request program
- U.S. Vintage Grand Prix returns to Watkins Glen International September 8-10, 2017
- Finger Lakes Beer Festival kicks off with Friday night dinner, tasting on Oct. 21
- U.S. Vintage Grand Prix presented by Jaguar brings nostalgia, thrills to Watkins Glen International
- World Champion Maine-Endwell Little League baseball team named Grand Marshals for INDYCAR Grand Prix at The Glen