This Weekend Marks the Last Ride for the No. 25
Tim Richmond Drove the No. 25 to Victory When NASCAR Returned to The Glen
A piece of Watkins Glen International history will leave the limelight of the track and move into the shadows of storage following the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series season-finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Sunday, November 18. Hendrick Motorsports is scheduled to remove the famed No. 25 from active use, the same number that Tim Richmond ran when he claimed victory in the return of the NASCAR Winston Cup Series, now NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, at the 1986 Bud at The Glen. The No. 25 will become the No. 88 with Dale Earnhardt, Jr. taking the place of current driver Casey Mears in 2008; Mears will move to the No. 5 team at HMS.
The combined history of Watkins Glen and Watkins Glen International reaches back 60 years and during that time fans have been treated to more memorable and historic moments than anyone can count. Tim Richmond cemented himself and the No. 25 into that history with his triumph on August 9, 1986. Richmond was one of 11 different drivers to drive the No. 25 and one of six to take it to victory lane but he is the only Hendrick Motorsports driver to take it to victory lane at The Glen in a NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race. So the No. 25 will take one final ride as part of HMS this weekend but to many Glen fans it will forever live and be associated with Tim Richmond and the return of NASCAR to The Soul of American Road Racing.
Tickets for the entire 2008 season go on sale December 1. To order tickets please contact the Watkins Glen International ticket office at 866-461-RACE or log on to the official website at www.TheGlen.com.
- Watkins Glen International, Busch Beer team up to bring Daytona 500 to New York state NASCAR fans
- Stage lengths revealed for August 3-6 NASCAR race weekend at Watkins Glen International
- Three burning questions to be answered at The Glen in 2017
- Best Western Plus – Hammondsport to serve as “Official Hotel” of Watkins Glen International’s Opening Weekend
- Camping, tickets on sale for USA’s “Best Wine Festival” at The Glen this summer