Eight is Great for Busch


Race Results | Photos

Kyle Busch scored his eighth win of the 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season and swept the road course schedule of the year with a win in Sunday's Centurion Boats at The Glen at Watkins Glen International. Busch outran Tony Stewart to the checkered flag to notch another road win to go with his triumph at Infineon Raceway back in June. "This year has just been phenomenal," Busch said. "I just can't thank Toyota enough -- I can't thank the guys at Joe Gibbs Racing. It was fun to be able to race out there and I had a great time racing with my friend and my teammate, Tony Stewart there." It was Busch's third NASCAR road win of the year with a Nationwide Series victory at Mexico City also to his credit. Busch is the first driver in NASCAR history to win three road course events in a season. He now has 16 victories in NASCAR's top three divisions this season. Busch locked up the top spot in the Chase when the NASCAR championship field is seeded in September. His 80 points cannot be equaled by any other driver with only four races left before the Chase cut-off. Stewart's second-place finish was his eighth top five, and second consecutive runner-up, of the season. "I was pretty happy with it," Stewart said. "It was fairly uneventful from our side. We didn't have any big dramas during the race." Marcos Ambrose, who started last, followed his Nationwide Series win on Sunday with a solid run in the Wood Brothers Ford to finish third. "Coming through the field is really hard work," Ambrose said. "We really worked the car hard to get through the field in the first half of the race. "It was great fun running with those guys at the front. I've really got to thank them for not taking me off there. It would be easy to send me off into the weeds with that rookie stripe on the car." Juan Pablo Montoya and Martin Truex Jr. rounded out the top five. Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin, Carl Edwards and Kurt Busch completed the first ten finishers. The race was red-flagged for a massive pile-up just eight laps from the finish when Michael McDowell and David Gilliland made contact racing off Turn 11. Gilliland hit the tire wall and bounced back on to the track where he was hit by Bobby Labonte and Joe Nemechek. "I had a run and I went underneath him and he just didn't give me a whole lot of room," McDowell said. "Maybe I shouldn’t have been in there, but we’re racing hard to stay in the top-35 in owner points and try to get back into the top-35 -- that’s what we needed to do with our Champion Mortgage Toyota. "It’s unfortunate and I’m sorry for the fans and all the cars that got wrecked there and then they had to wait through that red flag." Sam Hornish Jr. then slid trying to avoid the accident and made contact with the tire and water barriers at the entrance of pit road, sending debris all over the course and forcing NASCAR to stop the race for about 45 minutes. Labonte was taken to a local hospital for further evaluation. “I’m fine, I’m broken in my heart," said Max Papis, also swept up in the melee. “We were ready to attack. I know with nine to go, you get up on the wheel and push hard. Pushing and shoving is OK, but that was crazy. I guess there wasn’t much place to go. They kept pushing and shoving."

© 2017 Watkins Glen International


ISC Track Sites