Johnson Claims First Career Road Course Pole at The Glen
Kurt Busch Qualifies Second and Joins Johnson on the Front Row
By: WGI Staff on 8/7/2009
Jimmie Johnson will lead the field to the green flag for the Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen on Sunday, August 9.
“A really cool day for us to be able to get the pole,” said Johnson. “We were close at Sonoma once or twice and I lost it by a small margin so to get it done hopefully shows the progress that I’m making, the team is making on road courses. Today was just one lap and there’s a lot more laps to be made and a lot of racing on Sunday.”
Johnson laid down the fastest of 123.633 mph (71.340 seconds) and led a group of four drivers to qualify at over 123 mph so he hardly walked away with the award. Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge, held the provisional pole at 123.619 mph until Johnson topped his speed. Denny Hamlin, driver of the No. 11 FedEx Freight Toyota and Marcos Ambrose, driver of the No. 47 Little Debbie/Kingsford/Clorox Toyota made up the second row with qualifying speeds of 123.093 mph and 123.045 mph respectively.
Defending champion Kyle Busch qualified 8th, Tony Stewart qualified 13th, fan favorite Boris Said qualified 9th, and 4-time Glen champion Jeff Gordon qualified 31st which is the worst of his career at WGI.
- Sahlen’s renews title sponsorship of IMSA Six Hour event at Watkins Glen International
- Statement from Watkins Glen International President Michael Printup on the passing of Barney Hall
- NASCAR announces start times, broadcasts for Cheez-It™ 355, Zippo 200 at The Glen
- Watkins Glen International announces winner of Finger Lakes Wine Festival artwork contest
- Watkins Glen International seeks Fan Ambassadors for 2016 season