Stewart Captures Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen
Victory Gives Stewart Record Setting Fifth Victory at WGI
By: WGI Staff on 8/10/2009
Tony Stewart celebrates his fifth career win at WGI with his crew in Gatorade Victory Lane.
Stewart held off Marcos Ambrose for the last 25 laps to secure his place in Gatorade Victory Lane. Ambrose ran up front in the early laps, but pit strategy caused him to drop back in the pack during the mid-section of the race. By the closing laps, Ambrose worked his way back to the front of the field and earned a second-place finish, marking the best finish in Ambrose’s Sprint Cup Series career. For the second consecutive year, Ambrose won the Zippo 200 on Saturday afternoon.
The drama heated up on the track with a multi-car accident coming out of turn nine. The pile-up started when Kasey Kahne dove to the inside of Sam Hornish Jr., causing Hornish to plow into a tire barrier and bounce his car back across the track. Jeff Gordon drilled Hornish’s car head-on, sending both cars violently spinning across the track and also collecting Jeff Burton, Andy Lally, and Joey Logano. Thankfully all involved were able to either walk or drive away from the scene. The incident brought out a 19-minute red flag period stopping the cars on track between turns 1 and 2.
The win allowed Stewart to increase his overall points lead to 260-points over second-place Jimmie Johnson.
- U.S. Vintage Grand Prix returns to Watkins Glen International September 8-10, 2017
- Finger Lakes Beer Festival kicks off with Friday night dinner, tasting on Oct. 21
- U.S. Vintage Grand Prix presented by Jaguar brings nostalgia, thrills to Watkins Glen International
- World Champion Maine-Endwell Little League baseball team named Grand Marshals for INDYCAR Grand Prix at The Glen
- Doug Allen to perform anthems during INDYCAR Grand Prix at The Glen