Statement Regarding IndyCar Series not Returning in 2011
By: WGI Staff on 9/9/2010
Statement from Michael P. Printup, President of Watkins Glen International
“The decision has been made for the IndyCar Series to not return to Watkins Glen International in 2011. This is a joint business decision between WGI and the Indy Racing League.
I cannot speak for the series but can say that when evaluating events that we host at Watkins Glen International, there are a variety of factors that must be considered. Factors contributing to these decisions include the cost of competition, operational expense, paid attendance, both sponsor and market support, and future growth potential.
We know our track has experienced enthusiastic reviews by the competitors, drivers and fans of the IndyCar Series for the past six years. We continue to enjoy a good relationship with the Indy Racing League and will keep our door open for future discussions with the series that may make sense for both businesses beyond 2011.”
- Watkins Glen International selects benefactors for Opening Weekend
- Watkins Glen International offers opportunities to fundraise through volunteering
- New York state's premier wine tasting event set for July return to WGI
- Glenora Wine Cellars U.S. Vintage Grand Prix presented by Welliver set for July 24-26
- Michael Printup assumes Americrown role, remains WGI president