Joe Foster Wins Third Pole Of Season In Qualifying For Continental Tire 150
Chris Gleason Jr. Leads Street Tuner Class in Watkins Glen Session
Joe Foster won his third GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge pole of the season in qualifying Friday at Watkins Glen International. Foster led Grand Sport qualifying with a lap of 2:02.256 (100.118 mph) in the No. 15 Multimatic Motorsports Ford Mustang Boss 302R co-driven by Scott Maxwell.
The two-hour, 30-minute race will take the green flag at 6 p.m. ET Friday.
"It couldn’t have gone smoother," said Foster, who won his ninth career pole and second in a row. "I got out perfectly and ran one clear lap. I had the tires warmed up, let it rip and it ran perfectly. I knew right away it wasn’t going to go any quicker so I brought it in to preserve the tires for the race."
Foster will also co-drive with Patrick Dempsey and Charles Espenlaub in Saturday’s Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen in the No. 40 Dempsey Racing/Visit Florida Mazda RX-8.
Mitchum Motorsports took the next two positions in the 15-minute session. Joey Atterbury ran a lap of 2:02.324 (100.062 mph) in the No. 62 Piloti/Rockstar Energy Drink Chevrolet Camaro, followed by Robert Stout, 2:02.439 (99.968 mph) in the No. 6 Lucas Oil/Sunoco Chevrolet Camaro.
Chris Gleason Jr. led the Street Tuner session with a lap of 2:09.026 (94.865 mph), taking his first pole position of the season in the No. 181 APR Motorsport/VW Driver Gear Volkswagen GTI co-driven by his brother, Kevin Gleason.
Friday’s schedule also includes GRAND-AM Rolex Series qualifying for the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen at 4:25 p.m. The 30th running of the Sahlen’s Six Hours is set for 1 p.m. ET on Saturday.
- Finger Lakes Beer Festival kicks off with Friday night dinner, tasting on Oct. 21
- U.S. Vintage Grand Prix presented by Jaguar brings nostalgia, thrills to Watkins Glen International
- World Champion Maine-Endwell Little League baseball team named Grand Marshals for INDYCAR Grand Prix at The Glen
- Doug Allen to perform anthems during INDYCAR Grand Prix at The Glen
- Chris Cornett promoted to Vice President of Facilities and Operations at Watkins Glen International