Kirt Manwaring to Serve as Grand Marshal for Finger Lakes 355 at The Glen
Elmira, NY Native and Former MLB Catcher to Deliver Most Famous Words in Motorsports
WATKINS GLEN, NY – Elmira, NY native and former MLB catcher Kirt Manwaring will serve as Grand Marshal for Sunday’s Finger Lakes 355 at The Glen. More accustomed to hearing “Play Ball”, Manwaring will deliver another infamous sports phrase this Sunday at Watkins Glen International; “Start Your Engines!”
Drafted in the second round of the 1986 MLB draft by the San Francisco Giants, Manwaring spent thirteen seasons behind the plate for the Giants, Houston Astros, and Colorado Rockies; retiring in 1999. Manwaring won a Gold Glove with the Giants in 1993 in his most prolific season, also collecting the Willie McCovey Award that year.
Manwaring boasts a career batting average of .246 with 733 hits and 278 runs batted in. Manwaring has been inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame at Horseheads High School where he was a baseball standout, ultimately receiving a full scholarship to Coastal Carolina University where he is also a Hall of Fame inductee.
Tickets for the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Finger Lakes 355 at The Glen on August 9-12 are available by calling 866.461.RACE (7223) or online at www.TheGlen.com. Keep up with The Glen on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtags #FLX355, #Zippo200 and #ContiDunn200. Download the free mobile app for The Glen at both iTunes and Android market places. Be sure to catch the Finger Lakes 355 at The Glen live on Sunday, August 12 at Noon ET on ESPN.
- Pre-race access pass puts fans at center of the action for Cheez-It 355 at The Glen
- NARRA Sportscar Challenge at The Glen set to feature Trans-Am Championship Classic Tube 100
- Watkins Glen International adds on-site Weather Underground station
- Kyle Busch’s Championship-winning Toyota Camry show car on display at Destiny USA
- Watkins Glen International enlists Varsha, Lally, Bell to help unveil new surface