So You Want To Drive The Glen, Vettel? Be Our Guest!
Track President Michael Printup invites Sebastian Vettel to Watkins Glen International
On Twitter, WGI continued the conversation about Sebastian Vettel's desire to run The Glen.
WATKINS GLEN, NY – Last week, Watkins Glen International topped Sebastian Vettel’s list of tracks he would like to drive. Today, the three-time Formula One champion received a formal invitation from WGI President Michael Printup to bring his Red Bull Racing-Renault to The Glen anytime.
In an article released by AutoWeek on Friday, May 11, Vettel had this to say about his top choice: “Because I’ve heard lots of good things about it, as in it’s a proper circuit, with lots of ups and downs and loads of history. F1 used to go there but not anymore, so I’d like to try that.”
The Glen would like him to try it too.
No one knows whether Vettel will accept Printup’s invitation, but the track is hoping he will. Vettel leads the F1 championship coming off a fourth-place finish at the Spanish Grand Prix.
In 2011, Watkins Glen International hosted the Mobil 1 Car Swap with Formula One Champion Lewis Hamilton and two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion Tony Stewart. Hamilton piloted Stewart’s No. 14 Mobil 1/Office Depot Chevrolet Impala and Stewart navigated The Glen behind the wheel of Hamilton’s Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23. It was the first time Stewart drove “The Boot” at Watkins Glen International. The Glen hosted the United States Grand Prix until 1980.
Located in the Finger Lake Region of New York, Watkins Glen International is the premier road racing facility in the United States. Tickets for all 2013 events at The Glen are available now by calling 866.461.RACE. Gift certificates, licensed merchandise, Thunder Road Tours and tickets are available for purchase at The Shop, located in downtown Watkins Glen at 2 North Franklin Street and online at www.TheGlen.com. The Shop is open Monday-Saturday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Watkins Glen International partners donate Cheez-It™ 355, Zippo 200 tickets to soldiers, families
- Friendly Ford and Friendly Dodge Chrysler, Jeep partner with Watkins Glen International for Finger Lakes Wine Festival
- Barbosa and Fittipaldi sail to victory, headlining Action Express 1-2 finish in Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen
- Cassels, Hindman grab thrilling Continental 150 win at Watkins Glen International
- Climate-controlled tents, full slate of entertainment headline 20th anniversary of Finger Lakes Wine Festival