IMSA GT3 Cup Celebrating 100th Race During Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen
Race marks return of IMSA to Watkins Glen International
IMSA GT3 Challenge at Laguna Seca earlier this season.
WATKINS GLEN, NY – IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge will celebrate its 100th race as a series during Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen, June 28-30. Fans will see four series at Watkins Glen International as IMSA GT3 Cup joins GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car, GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and F2000 Championship Series on this weekend of sports car racing. It is the first time an IMSA sanctioned event will run at The Glen since 1996.
IMSA GT3 Challenge is the largest single-make series in North America, featuring semi-professional drivers behind the wheel of the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car. There are two class divisions: Gold Cup andPlatinum Cup, each featuring a Masters Championship for drivers aged 45 and older. The Platinum Cupfeatures 2010-12 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars, the Gold Cup includes Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars from 2005 1/2 through 2009. Each car class, as well as the Masters drivers, is awarded their own podium, with individual champions honored at the end of the season.
On Friday, June 28 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge practices at 9:45 and 11:15 a.m. before qualifying at 3:45 p.m. The green flag on the first of two races set for the series will wave at 1:05 p.m. on Saturday, June 29. IMSA GT3 Cup will race again on Sunday, June 30 at 9 a.m. preceding the marquee event of the weekend – Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen at 11 a.m.
Located in the Finger Lake Region of New York, Watkins Glen International is the premier road racing facility in the United States. Tickets for all 2013 events at The Glen are available now by calling 866.461.RACE. Gift certificates, licensed merchandise, Thunder Road Tours and tickets are available for purchase at The Shop, located in downtown Watkins Glen at 2 North Franklin Street and online at www.TheGlen.com. The Shop is open Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Watkins Glen International partners donate Cheez-It™ 355, Zippo 200 tickets to soldiers, families
- Friendly Ford and Friendly Dodge Chrysler, Jeep partner with Watkins Glen International for Finger Lakes Wine Festival
- Barbosa and Fittipaldi sail to victory, headlining Action Express 1-2 finish in Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen
- Cassels, Hindman grab thrilling Continental 150 win at Watkins Glen International
- Climate-controlled tents, full slate of entertainment headline 20th anniversary of Finger Lakes Wine Festival