Watkins Glen Elementary Visits Fans R1st Viewing Area for Read for Speed Finale
Watkins Glen International supported reading initiative programs ends another successful year
Max Traxx spent time with Watkins Glen Elementary students at Watkins Glen International's Fans R1st Viewing Area on Monday.
WATKINS GLEN, NY – Read for Speed students from Watkins Glen Elementary visited Watkins Glen International’s Fans R1st Viewing Area on Monday. One class from each grade level, pre-kindergarten through fifth, spent the afternoon at The Glen. Students enjoyed the cars on track, ate picnic lunches and ice cream from Friendly’s in Horseheads.
Designed to get children excited about reading, Read for Speed is paired with Accelerated Reader at Watkins Glen Elementary. Students from pre-kindergarten through fifth grade participate in the reading initiative and compete for prizes by completing quizzes to reflect the number of books they read.
Kindergartener Eva Umiko and fourth-grader Cale Sudderby received grand prizes for their participation, taking home four general admission tickets to the Cheez-It™ 355 at The Glen (August 8-11). Sudderby accumulated an outstanding 305 points, averaging 98.1% on his Accelerated Reader quizzes.
Fans are welcome to enjoy the sights and sounds of The Glen during most track rental days, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fans interested may enter through Gate 2, the primary entry point for all Watkins Glen International visitors, to watch the variety of car clubs and amateur racing associations at The Glen for FREE.
Located in the Finger Lake Region of New York, Watkins Glen International is the premier road racing facility in the United States. Tickets for all 2013 events at The Glen are available now by calling 866.461.RACE. Gift certificates, licensed merchandise, Thunder Road Tours and tickets are available for purchase at The Shop, located in downtown Watkins Glen at 2 North Franklin Street and online at www.TheGlen.com. The Shop is open Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Watkins Glen International partners donate Cheez-It™ 355, Zippo 200 tickets to soldiers, families
- Friendly Ford and Friendly Dodge Chrysler, Jeep partner with Watkins Glen International for Finger Lakes Wine Festival
- Barbosa and Fittipaldi sail to victory, headlining Action Express 1-2 finish in Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen
- Cassels, Hindman grab thrilling Continental 150 win at Watkins Glen International
- Climate-controlled tents, full slate of entertainment headline 20th anniversary of Finger Lakes Wine Festival