Watkins Glen International Wins NASCAR Green Award
The 2013 NASCAR Green Summit Delivered by UPS is commemorating five years of innovative changes to the sport’s environmental footprint.
WATKINS GLEN, NY – Watkins Glen International was honored during the 2013 NASCAR Green Summit with a NASCAR Green track operator award. The award recognizes motorsport facilities for ongoing contributions to developing effective and sustainable green policies and practices.
Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Senior Vice President of Racing Operations, presented the NASCAR Green track operator award to Michael Printup, Watkins Glen International President, on Wednesday.
Watkins Glen International was recognized for joining forces with NextEra Energy to launch a windmill project that may create a lasting renewable energy resource for the Watkins Glen area. Plans are for up to 70 turbines to be installed over the next three years, with each tower capable of powering 2,900 homes annually.
NextEra Energy is the largest renewable energy producer in North America.
“It is my pleasure to accept this award on behalf of the entire WGI team,” said Printup. “We have a great partnership with NextEra Energy and look forward to working with them for many years to come.”
The 2013 NASCAR Green Summit Delivered by UPS is commemorating five years of innovative changes to the sport’s environmental footprint. The event examines the substantive initiatives that have helped make NASCAR the sustainability leader in sports.
Located in the Finger Lake Region of New York, Watkins Glen International is the premier road racing facility in North America. For tickets and information visit www.theglen.com.
- Climate-controlled tents, full slate of entertainment headline 20th anniversary of Finger Lakes Wine Festival
- Watkins Glen International boasts first-class fan experience during Sahlen’s Six Hours
- Finger Lakes Wine Festival presented by Yancey’s Fancy to kick off with Togas, Wine, and Fireworks
- Military Appreciation Day at Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen proudly presented by Kaplan University
- Jaguar to sponsor U.S. Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen International